Pelvic floor therapy is a specialized treatment approach that aids in the rehabilitation of the pelvic floor muscles, which may become weakened or dysfunction as a result of various health conditions or due to aging. When these muscles are not functioning correctly, it can lead to urinary incontinence, pain during intercourse, and other pelvic floor disorders. The good news is, Fairview Hospital’s Physical Therapy department is fully equipped to guide patients towards improved pelvic floor health. Let’s explore the various treatment methods and benefits that the expert therapists at Fairview Hospital offer those suffering from pelvic floor disorders.
Fairview Hospital Physical Therapy's approach in treating pelvic floor disorders is holistic and individualized. The expert team of therapists will complete a comprehensive evaluation to create a personalized treatment plan. Some of the most common treatment methods include:
1. pelvic floor exercises: Fairview Hospital’s physical therapists are specialized in teaching patients pelvic floor muscle exercises (also known as kegel exercises). These exercises help strengthen the weakened muscles, provide support to the pelvic organs, and effectively alleviate symptoms.
2. Biofeedback: Biofeedback is a process through which the patient learns to control the pelvic floor muscles by observing a visual or auditory feedback generated by the therapist. This helps the patient activate the correct muscles and improve their overall control.
Transform Your Pelvic Floor in Just 4 Weeks: The Pelvic Floor Bible
3. Manual Therapy: Trained physical therapists will use hands-on techniques such as soft tissue massage and trigger point release to relieve muscle tension and improve flexibility, tissue function, and circulation in and around the pelvic area.
4. Electrical Stimulation: For some patients, the therapist may use an electrical stimulation device to help enhance muscle re-education, control pain, and reduce inflammation or swelling.
5. Patient Education: One of the key aspects of the Fairview Hospital Physical Therapy approach is educating the patients about their condition, supportive footwear, correcting muscle imbalances through proper posture, and appropriate techniques for lifting or other daily activities.
Fairview Hospital Physical Therapy Example
A woman in her early 40s comes to Fairview Hospital Physical Therapy with urinary incontinence issues. After her initial evaluation, her therapist determines that her pelvic floor muscles are weak due to aging and childbirth. They create a personalized treatment plan that includes pelvic floor exercises, biofeedback, and manual therapy techniques. Over the course of several weeks, the woman develops better muscle control and understanding of her pelvic floor, ultimately improving her symptoms of urinary incontinence. In addition, she becomes more knowledgeable about her condition and how to prevent further complications.
Pelvic floor disorders are a common yet often overlooked source of discomfort and distress that can severely impact one’s quality of life. Fairview Hospital Physical Therapy is committed to providing comprehensive care in addressing these often-sensitive issues, guiding patients towards improved pelvic floor health and symptom relief. With tailored treatment plans and cutting-edge techniques, the expert therapists at Fairview Hospital Physical Therapy contribute to the wellness and empowerment of their patients. If you or someone you know are experiencing pelvic floor issues, consider seeking professional help from the remarkable team at Fairview Hospital. Don’t forget to share this informative piece with others, and explore further guides on pelvic floor therapy to take charge of your health today!
Discover the world of Fairview Hospital Physical Therapy's specialized approach for treating pelvic floor disorders, and experience life-changing results with personalized treatment plans designed to strengthen and rehabilitate your pelvic floor.